Kaspersky Lab announces the release of its newly updated product line for home users: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2015, Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 and Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device 2015. The solutions were developed to protect users of Windows, OS X and Android devices from existing and new threats – making their online lives easier and safer.
Research conducted by Kaspersky Lab and B2B International indicates that Internet user’s biggest concerns while online are the protection of their privacy and identity, their personal data, their finances and their children’s safety. Furthermore, with as many as 77% of people using devices on different platforms, they require multiplatform security solutions, especially considering constant growth of online threats.
According to Kaspersky Lab, about 315,000 new samples of malicious software appear every day. No operating system can be considered safe – the days when attackers focused almost exclusively on Windows are long gone, and attacks on Macs and mobile operating systems are on the rise. After the detection of the Flashback botnet which included more than 700,000 computers running under OS X, Apple users can no longer argue that their operating system is completely safe. Following the global trend of mobilization, the amount of malicious software for the most popular mobile OS, Android, continues to grow rapidly: Kaspersky Lab detects about 20,000 new samples per month. In turn, phishing websites – fake pages designed to steal personal information – are a universal cyber-threat which pose a danger to all users, regardless of their preferred device or operating system. Every month Kaspersky Security Network logs over 137,000 new phishing sites aimed at deceiving people into handing over their sensitive personal and financial data.
In a world of increasingly sophisticated online threats, people want reliable security software capable of fully protecting them from cyber-threats on all the devices they use to interact, shop, and bank online. To secure our customers’ data, safeguard their privacy and financial transactions, and help keep their children safe from online harm, Kaspersky Lab is constantly updating and improving the components of its security solutions.
These latest versions of Kaspersky Lab’s consumer software incorporate several entirely new technologies that improve the level of protection against encryption malware, prevent webcam surveillance of the user, and shield against the risks of working on vulnerable Wi-Fi networks.
Webcam hacking, or intercepting images from the webcam, is one way of using malware for online espionage. Many users pay little attention to what might be recorded on their webcams – even though the camera could capture images of documents containing bank details, credit cards, or simply personal activities that people prefer not to expose to strangers. For our customers to be confident that they are never observed without their knowledge or consent, Kaspersky Lab has developed the Webcam Protection feature. It helps monitor which applications attempt to connect to the webcam, warns the user of access attempts, and, if necessary, blocks webcam access1.
One of the most serious threats to our customers’ documents, pictures, and music comes from so-called cryptomalware, or malware that encrypts files and demands a ransom before restoring access to the information. Once the data is encrypted, not even removing the malware itself can restore access to the encrypted files, so Kaspersky Lab has built a way to regain access to data without paying any ransom. Kaspersky Lab’s System Watcher module analyzes all processes running on the operating system, and now features new data backup functionality. When System Watcher detects a suspicious program attempting to modify a user file, it instantly creates a local backup copy of that file, free from any external changes. If further observation indicates that the program that changed the file was malicious, then the changes will be rolled back1.
Wi-Fi Security Notification
In the hands of criminals, public wireless networks can easily become yet another tool to intercept user data. That’s why Kaspersky Lab has introduced a Wi-Fi Security Notification module into the new edition of Kaspersky Internet Security. This module verifies the security of Wi-Fi hotspots and alerts the user to any potential threats, such as a vulnerable network connection or the transmission of an unsecured password via the Internet. Users also receive tips and recommendations on how to securely configure their own home Wi-Fi network1.
In addition to these key new features, the 2015 versions of Kaspersky Lab’s consumer security portfolio includes a number of extra enhancements:
- Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus now include automatic updates & upgrades when newer versions become available. This innovation means users will always have the most recent and reliable version of their security product without the hassle of manually downloading and installing it1.
- Improvements were introduced into the Safe Money module to protect online financial transactions at every stage. Now, Safe Money also blocks third-party applications from accessing the web browser clipboard, which may temporarily contain confidential data (such as copied login credentials). The Safe Money module continues to offer protection from screen-capture technology, malicious browser extensions, and other money-stealing tactics used by cybercriminals1.
- For users of paid Wi-Fi networks, 3G or LTE connections, the solution now includes the Cost-Aware Networking feature that reduces the amount of data communicated by the product via the net2.
- In the anti-phishing module, which helps the user avoid unwanted and malicious webpages, improvements were introduced into the text, image and website link analysis technology. This leads to faster and more accurate detections of fake websites designed to steal money and sensitive user information.
- The main menu and interface has been unified across all products so users can easily navigate applications regardless of the operating system or product version. Careful attention to resource consumption has helped improve the effectiveness of security tools without affecting the performance of the operating system.
"Today, people rarely access the Internet from just one device; therefore, they need to be aware of the full variety of online threats and know how to deal with them. Kaspersky Lab has developed a multi-platform solution that enables the user to easily manage protection products on Windows, OS X and Android-based devices under a single license. The technologies integrated into Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device have proved their effectiveness not only in independent tests but in practice, protecting 300 million people around the world every day," said Nikita Shvetsov, acting CTO at Kaspersky Lab.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus is the foundation of our battle with the latest malware. It protects against malicious software, assesses the security of each website a user visits and identifies any suspicious program behavior. Kaspersky Anti-Virus also includes an automatic exploit protection system, which prevents malware from exploiting security gaps in legitimate applications and software used by millions of people across the globe.
Kaspersky Internet Security
Kaspersky Internet Security provides premium PC protection to protect our customers from all types of Internet threats. In addition to antivirus and anti-phishing protection, it includes a range of other tools and technologies to help protect privacy, personal data and online payments. Kaspersky Internet Security also enables parents to monitor their children's activity on the Web with the help of the Parental Control module.
Kaspersky Internet Security — Multi-Device
Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device is a multi-platform integrated security solution. With just one license you can activate Kaspersky Lab products on computers, tablets or smartphones (the combination can vary according to the user's needs, and the number of devices is determined by the purchased license). Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device protects devices that run under:
- Microsoft Windows with Kaspersky Internet Security;
- Apple OS X with Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac. The product blocks malware as well as phishing and other dangerous sites in Safari, Mozilla Firefox browsers or in Google Chrome. The product also integrates virtual keyboard and the Parental Control module;
- Google Android with Kaspersky Internet Security for Android. It can block dangerous apps, filter out unwanted calls and messages and protect against online fraud. Users can also wipe personal data if their device is lost or stolen, or help locate it using GPS services;
- Windows Phone and iOS with Safe Browser for Windows Phone and Safe Browser for iOS. Safe Browser filters out phishing sites and pages with undesirable content. Both versions of Safe Browser are free and available from Apple Store and Windows Phone accordingly.
1 Works for Windows OS
2 The Cost-Aware Networking function is available for Windows 8 or higher