Kaspersky Lab has launched the latest version of its anti-virus software for the Apple Mac platform, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac. The software has been launched in response to the increasingly tempting target Macs are presenting to cybercriminals. Out of the 35,000 viruses identified every day by internet security firm Kaspersky Lab, around 300 are targeted at Macs and the rest are aimed at PCs, and this number is on the increase.
The latest version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Mac is designed to protect against all forms of malicious software, hacker attacks and spam and can protect Macs from passing on PC viruses. It uses cloud technology to compare suspicious files against Kaspersky Labs’ constantly updated global threats database, so that the latest threats can be identified and blocked quickly.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac includes an enhanced, Mac-style user interface as well as improved protection against all types of computer threat, including viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, adware, bots and phishing scams.
“As the popularity of Macs continues to grow, so does the number of threats targeting the Mac OS,” said Vartan Minasyan, Senior Product Manager at Kaspersky Lab. “Our research suggests that many Mac users remain unaware of this, and do not have the right security in place to protect their computer, or other non-Mac computers in their network. Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac is designed to offer maximum protection and security, with an intuitive user-interface familiar to Mac users.”
“It is easy for Mac users to dismiss PC viruses, since most do not harm Macs, although they can slow them down. However, most Mac users collaborate or communicate with PC users, exchanging data via a common network, email, file sharing, USB stick, hard disk or Instant Messenger. Malware can be passed through all these channels. No-one wants to infect the computers of their friends and colleagues so it is vital that Mac users understand these risks and have the right anti-virus security in place to protect their computer and its contents,” continues Minasyan.
Other new and improved features of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac include:
- Malware signature detection methods to protect against viruses, trojans, worms and bots – complemented by advanced heuristic file analysis to protect users’ computers from new threats that do not yet have recognized signatures.
- Protection against identity theft and annoying software such as adware.
- A Kaspersky “URL Advisor” that informs users about links to suspicious and dangerous websites, compatible with Safari, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
- Protection against user errors that may lead to the loss of data or the inadvertent alteration of security settings.
- High speed operation and low resource use to ensure that computer functionality is not slowed down or impacted.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac is designed to protect Mac OS X 10.5 and higher, running in 32-bit and 64-bit modes.
More information about the product is available from: http://www.kaspersky.com/anti-virus-for-mac.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 for Mac will be available from Kaspersky Lab’s global website and in store from 30 November, 2010.